During the development of this language, along came TypScript in which new possibilities came to surface but backward compatibility was preserved.
In 1995, Netscape set the task of embedding the Scheme programming language or "something similar" in the Netscape browser. Brendan Eich, an American developer specializing in system programming, was invited to create a new programming language. Netscape began working with Sun Microsystems to accelerate the development.
- writing web page scripts to make them interactive
- creating a single page and progressive web applications (React, AngularJS, Vue.js etc.)
- server-side programming (Node.js, Deno)
- desktop applications (Electron)
- mobile applications (React Native, Cordova etc.)
- scripts in applications and operating systems
- exporting & importing modules
There are a lot of small but useful improvements too:
- const and let keywords for variables
- array helper functions: forEach, map, filter, reduce etc.
- arrow functions
- enhanced object literals
- template strings
- default function arguments
- rest and spread operators
- destructuring of array and object
In this article, we will do a comparison between ES and TypeScript.
What is TypeScript
The developer of the TypeScript language is Anders Hejlsberg who previously created C#, Turbo Pascal, and Delphi.
There are a lot of small features in TypeScript when compared to ES6 but the main ones are static typing and compile-time consistency checking.
- objects, with the possibility of introspection and dynamic change of type through the mechanism of prototypes
- functions as first-class objects
- exception handling
- automatic type coercion
- automatic garbage collection
- anonymous functions
- possibility of an explicit definition of types (static typing)
- support for the use of full-fledged classes (as in traditional object-oriented languages)
The disadvantages of TypeScript may not be as obvious, but they still exist:
- A significant slowdown in the project build
- TypeScript provides a static type checking in the moment of compilation. This approach to typing will not save you from mistakes in runtime
Developers choose TypeScript due to the following properties:
- TypeScript is Typesafe
- Powerful type system including generics and JS functions
- Consistent with ES design for compatibility
- Structural rather than nominal subtyping is present
- It is possible to detect errors during compilation
Developers choose the ECMAScript due to the following properties:
- It is possible to use a modular standardized system
- Extremely compact programming language
- Destructuring assignment present
Here are the key differences between Typescript and ES6:
- While the differences between TypeScript and ES6 are subtle, they’re still there.
- Code written in TypeScript will be ES6 supported after recompilation.
- TypeScript is essentially an extension to ES6, with some functionality and typing added to TypeScript.
- How to decide when to choose TypeScript or ES6? If you prefer compile-time type checking, then you must use TypeScript. On a large project with many developers involved, you might want to lean towards TypeScript.
- ES6 will mostly be effective for embedding the necessary tools in an existing project or for developing small projects. It is necessary to pay attention to providing a testing process using unit tests in both ES and TypeScript.
You can also explore our working models to see which one works best for your project, like the Team Extension Mode for clients who want a seamless working experience while remaining cost-effective.
Nothing is static in the world of technology, and in software development specifically, new solutions emerge constantly. Svitla Systems is built upon innovation and talent, and we are constantly learning and training in new technologies so we can develop projects for our clients with the latest, most cutting-edge technologies in the industry.
Let's meet Svitla
We look forward to sharing our expertise, consulting you about your product idea, or helping you find the right solution for an existing project.
Your message is received. Svitla's sales manager of your region will contact you to discuss how we could be helpful.