Web design vs Web development
Web design vs web development: these two fundamentally separate concepts are sometimes confused with one another due in part to the fact that web development companies tend to overlap both terms in their service offerings. Truthfully, they are unique as they cover different website building processes. Even though both serve the end goal of developing websites, they do not handle the same types of tasks.
Regardless of the confusion that envelops these terms, there is no question about it - web design vs web development are completely different, and we’ll tell you why in this article. We explore the dilemma of defining web design vs web development to shed light on how they differ, the roles associated with each one, and what each term focuses on. Let’s get started.
What is web design?
Web design is actually a part of web development and probably one of the most crucial sections as it is at this point in the process where ideas are transformed into aesthetically pleasing designs and also where website layout begins.
The two key elements of web design are User Experience Design (UX) and User Interface Design (UI). Similar to the confusion around web design vs web development, both UX and UI are frequently confused with one another, especially since they are joined together as a single term: UI/UX design.
Despite this misleading combination of terminology, UX is distinguished as the part of the process that comes first in web design as it determines how end users interact with the website on a navigational path and forms an overall website experience that is smooth, dynamic, and intuitive. The final aim here is to make interaction with the interface elements as pleasing as possible.
The next step is UI design, which is responsible for the visual and graphic aspect of the website, including color schemes, layout, fonts, and other visual elements of the user interface. For more detailed information on both UX/UI design, we recommend you read this article.
In summary, web design integrates elements that are geared to provide the best possible user experience in a welcoming website environment.
Now, what is website development? Let us fill you in.
What is website development?
Website development is a broader process that includes web design work. In essence, website development focuses on transforming the design that was generated by the web designer into a full-fledged website.
The web development process includes several comprehensive steps: gather information, create a strategy that aligns with client requirements, develop web content, generate a sample of the website that follows the UI and UX design specifications, code the front-end and back-end, test the website thoroughly, launch the website into a live environment, and provide post-launch maintenance.
Now that we have clarified the basics, let’s see how a standard website development process is structured.
The website development stages
These are the most common stages for the website development process.
- Briefing. Implies clarification of all questions and requirements to provide data analysis and create a clear website development process description.
- Research. Further research on the client’s requirements to ensure consistency and a thorough approach that addresses each one.
- Website structure. Development of a website structure for the client to approve the final layout, the number of website pages, and the functional and semantic description of said pages.
- Website content development. In this stage, the team incorporates all the client-provided content and text that must be embedded in the website structure.
- Prototyping. Sample website for the client to utilize as the basis of approval for the number of sample pages, element placement, and other functional aspects.
- Design concept. Design of the website’s main page along with an outline of the website’s general layout that includes all animated and unique elements that will be embedded into the website. The general view is based on the client’s brand book and corporate identity.
- Design. The actual design of sub-pages based on the website structure and prototype, and in accordance with the design concept.
- Front-end: Markup creation using scripting languages to implement typography and fonts, animation, drop-down menus, pagination, scrolling, and other features to ensure interaction between end-user and the website.
- Back-end: Back-end development focuses on the technical assignment of the website programming that orchestrates how the website will operate.
- QA and content filling: Testing of both front-end and back-end development; Additionally, the website is filled with content.
- Launch the website: After approval of the website, it is put on a production server and full access is given to the client.
- Maintenance and support: The vendor guarantees ongoing and unlimited website maintenance and support.
Roles: Web designer vs web developer
In the argument of web designer vs web developer, there are key differences that pop up in terms of their responsibilities and skillsets, though ultimately they both help build websites.
The web designer is responsible for the design of visual aspects of the website’s layout. Web designers are experts at color schemes, typography, spatial relations, and user experience, to name a few. Typically, web designers work based on prototypes that are created by user experience (UX) experts - thus, UI comes after UX. To sum up, the web designer makes your website look good.
The web developer is in charge of all programming activities that cause a website to function properly. Typically, web developers are categorized into two roles: front-end developer and back-end developer. The front-end web developer focuses on the client-side of the website, developing the necessary code to define how a website displays the visual elements that were planned by the web designer. The back-end web developer focuses on the server-side of the website, developing the necessary code to manage data and perform client requests. The third player in the game is the full-stack developer - an individual who is an expert and works across the back-end and front-end layers. To sum up, the web developer builds your website from the ground up via programming and software tools.
Svitla Systems proposal for website development
Svitla Systems is an expert website development provider. We focus on quality websites that stand out and carry your branding everywhere to attract and retain customers and prospects alike. Sleek, high-functioning, and effective websites are our goal for every project we embark upon. The list of benefits from partnering with Svitla Systems include:
- Best in class design and UX. Your website design is based on a detailed UX analysis of your target audience behavior, using top grade design trends that are tailored for multiple devices.
- Complex web development. Through a comprehensive portfolio of technologies at our fingertips, we suggest and implement the best solutions for your website project.
- Custom websites. We create unique websites for your unique business needs. By performing an in-depth analysis of your business goals we develop a website that can scale easily as your business grows.
- Support and maintenance. We provide outstanding support and regular updates to your website.
Another trademark of our website development offering is the unique look and feel we embed into your website. We take your ideas, goals, vision, and business and technical requirements to build and launch a website that is set for success with a strong online presence that conveys the message you want to deliver.
At Svitla Systems, we focus on providing full-cycle web development services that help you create full-fledged websites that are scalable and responsive in equal measure. Through hands-on experience with database integrations and APIs, our technology stack of high-end tools help speed up and improve the website development process.
Let us help you with your website project as we take care of the web design and web development aspects of your solution - Svitla Systems provides you with the best tools, resources, and professionals that converge to provide you with the perfect website solution.
Tap into Svitla’s expertise to build your website
From full-fledged website development projects to revamps for your existing website, Svitla is sure to deliver high-quality solutions through a robust development lifecycle to turn your ideas into reality.
We will contact very shortly.
Your message is received. Svitla's sales manager of your region will contact you to discuss how we could be helpful.